25.4.10

Evaluation

In this evaluation I will be recounting the ways in how my media product uses, develops and challenges forms and conventions of real media products as well as describing how effective the combination of the main product and the ancillary tasks were.
Furthermore to this I will be explaining what I have learnt from my target audience’s feedback as well as looking at what media technologies I used during the stages of construction , research planning and evaluation stages.
Following this I will be assessing what I could have done better looking back at the assignment and concluding the ways in which my media product was successful or not.



My media product uses various forms of real media products, such as websites, posters and magazines but in particular it takes on board newspaper principles to a larger extent.
The product itself uses newspaper conventions by the way in which the layout was created and also the font and terminology that was used.
To be able to obtain an accurate newspaper effect, the main part of my research was focused on the different areas of a newspaper, one of which involved looking at different typography which is found in the ‘Examples of Typography’ post.
Doing this provided me with an insight in the styles of font I should use for my newspaper, to help make it be as effective as possible with the newspaper’s theme that I had chosen to focus on.
Not only this, but it also sustains real media aspects through the language that is used in the newspaper. I.e. the text that is applied in the articles and how it is presented uses the same terms and vocabulary as real conventional newspapers.


For the website I used conventions of real media through hyperlinks in the production of my website, which are greatly used to connect pages or link different files together. This simple element is a form of true media since all newspapers with websites use several hyperlinks to enable viewers to look at the different topics and areas that the newspaper specializes in.

Since I chose to have music as the core theme to have my newspaper based on, I have challenged the norms of other real media products on the fact that there are barely any newspapers in the industry that have music as their subject matter in the modern time. I realized that the main reason for this whilst I was researching newspapers is, because most tabloid and national newspapers are quite informative and official, music is quite a hard topic for a newspaper to focus on. However I was able to get away with exploiting music as the subject matter because my newspaper takes an informal approach and contains magazine like characteristics, and this in itself is challenging forms of common real media. The colours red, white and blue I used in my colour scheme are very unusual for a newspaper of today. They are all primary and very contrasting against one another, which during my research I found that was very abnormal for a newspaper to have. From this I can see that I have challenged the norms and conventions of newspapers.
In addition to this, my chosen target market (teenagers and young adults) also challenges real media products since there are very few that have this as their target audience.
In the process of mounting my media product I have widened my skills in using real media technologies such as Photoshop and Indesign, which develops forms of real media through producing numerous different media products.


• The poster’s advertisement
• The template
• Website news
• Research


The effectiveness of the ancillary tasks (website and poster) to the main task (newspaper) is extremely useful if it were to be placed in the real media world. This is mostly due to the fact that a newspaper alone doesn’t sell out unless it is publicized and advertised, and moreover this is where the creation of the poster and website comes in.
Throughout the project, I researched websites and magazines that were relevant to the theme of my newspaper as well as tabloid and national newspapers (which are both found in the ‘Steps in creating my newspaper!’ post and ‘Ancillary tasks!’ post) to make sure that my newspaper along with the ancillary tasks prolonged an appeal, so that if they were actually established then it would be seen and come across to people as realistic and sensible.
The combination of the three together would get the newspaper recognized as well as advertising the main company, which would therefore attract more readers and a larger audience and work well in combination to one another.
One example of this is through the newspaper which is the main way of getting the stories produced by the company out for the audience to read, another way is via the newspapers website which gets updated to information and is a link way for the audience to give the feedback to the company. And finally the poster is to promote the newspaper and website to get more of audience/readers.
This is the ideology of the real media world’s way of getting known to the public, and a template to use for media.One of the things I have learnt through doing this project is that you can use hundreds and thousands of media technologies to produce the same sort of work, but with a twist. There will always be uniqueness to every product as it is someone adapting to the creator’s style.


Feedback from the audience
Questionnaire
I created a closed questionnaire and asked 20 people for their opinions after looking at and reading the finalised Newspaper, to distinguish whether or not my newspaper would be successful if it were to be properly released, published and established, and this was the feedback i got back!



1. What first impression do you get from WHO newspaper?






2) Do you like the appearance of the magazine?



3. Do you like the colour Scheme of the newspaper?


4.Do you feel as a reader that the magazine tells you the type stories you want to read about?



5.What kind of audience do you feel this newspaper reaches out to the most?

    6. Do you feel that you are given relevant information to be able to see the bands named live by the newspaper?

    7.Do you feel this magazine is biased in any way?


    8. Having read this magazine, do you think you would read it on a regular basis if it was easily accessible?


Questionnaire Conclusion

From this feedback, it is evident that i could make changes to my product in order to please my audience to their satisfaction. I think i could make the pages more informative on the newspaper and fill up the pages abit more on the website with more information so that people could get to better grips with the bands that i advertised for them to feel like they would want to go and listen to their music and watch them perform.

However saying this, it is clear that i got a lot of positive feedback. A high volume of participants liked the appearance of the newspaper, as well as the colour scheme and the stories that i had created. Moreover, my aimed target market came across as a success as the majority of people felt like it was aimed at teenagers/adults which i had intended it would!
Planning

During my planning stages, I used Microsoft word to write up my planning, and included what I wanted done for some of it and then linked it in with some of my research as well. This is an easy, yet an effective method to make things clear and neat. However, I also used pen and paper which is just as effective to write down some ideas here and there of what I wanted to do.

Research

My research, I used a few of the best known media methods to get the information I needed. This first consisted of generating secondary research via using the internet, where I could research different websites for newspapers, and ones that focused specially on music (see ‘Ancillary Tasks’ post ) as well as national newspapers such as the Daily Mirror and the Daily Mail (see ‘Ideas for potential newspaper templates’ post) However I focused more on conducting primary research from buying local newspapers and picking up posters around my area for information and ideas for designs etc..
I had to use different programs to construct my products, as there isn’t a set program for creating these different products, which also meant learning how to use some I didn’t know which did create some difficulties. I used Photoshop to edit all of my images of which I then placed onto either Indesign for my newspaper or publisher for my website and poster. (See ‘Steps in creating my newspaper’ post)
This was a rather effective method however when it came to doing my website, it was rather a struggle as I had used publisher, which I found simple and easy enough to create my website on, but then complications arose when trying to add it to the server, I had to transfer the publisher file onto Dream Weaver so it could be put onto the server and this was a problem as pictures would be missing and hyperlinks would not always work.
My newspaper I feel personally was my biggest success, I managed to create two articles and edit the layout to my own taste adding slogans, headlines, sub headlines, banners and decorations to suit the style I wanted my newspaper to represent for my company WHO?. And advertisement all of which I create myself using Photoshop. I created my newspaper using InDesign and this was a real success in my opinion as it came out the way I had anticipated it would!

Overall

If I was to do this project again, I would do the poster the same way, edit it some ways to make it a bit more improved but use the same programs, and the same goes for the newspaper,
However for the website, because of the amount of problems and difficulties that occurred I would be very reluctant to what software I would use since I am not 100% sure why my website could not be transferred onto the server from Publisher. Personally, this was mostly a success other than the website in my opinion. The poster is of a good quality and the newspaper I feel is as good as quality considering the price to be free for consumers as the ones you see today for a music paper.
Also the idea of having a music newspaper rather than a standard newspaper/magazine might be more appealing to both a younger and older target audience, and from the feedback from the audience I would definitely be inclined to say that overall my project was a success!

0 comments:

Post a Comment